Book Review: Grasping at Eternity by Karen Amanda Hooper

Title: Grasping at Eternity (Kindrily #1)
Author: Karen Amanda Hooper
Genre: YA/Teens, Romance, Supernatural
Copy from Netgalley
See on: Goodreads
Buy from: Amazon ll B&N 

 Leave it to Maryah Woodsen to break the one rule that will screw up eternity: Never erase your memories.


Before entering this life, Maryah did the unthinkable—she erased. Now, at seventeen years old, she’s clueless that her new adoptive family has known her for centuries, that they are perpetually reincarnated souls, and that they have supernatural abilities. Oh, and she's supposed to love (not despise) Nathan, the green-eyed daredevil who saved her life.


Nathan is convinced his family’s plan to spark Maryah's memory is hopeless, but his love for her is undying. After spending (and remembering) so many lifetimes together, being around an empty version of his soulmate is heart shattering. He hates acting like a stalker, but has no choice because the evil outcast who murdered Maryah in their last lifetime is still after her.


While Maryah’s hunter inches closer, she and Nathan make assumptions and hide secrets that rip them further apart. Maryah has to believe in the magic within her, Nathan must have faith in the power of their love, and both need to grasp onto the truth before they lose each other forever—and discover just how lonely eternity can be.

 What they have was meant to be forever,
But what if the other half of that equation, chooses to forget?

Maryah Woodsen was not who she thought herself to be.
She was much, much more.

I have read books before that also talks about reincarnation.
And, I have to say, this is one of the good ones.

I really like the dynamics between Maryah and Nathan, even when they only just met in their current lives. They were not the you're-my-soulmate-love-me type of couple. They hated each other in the first place for cheesecake's sake!
But that is what made me like the both of them.
It showed that Nathan still had to fight to regain Maryah back, even when their souls have already spent quite a long time together. 

I also like the other characters in the story as they have their own roles and I'm really intrigued to read more about them, including their past lives. That's why I kept on hoping and praying that a read-along book would be made that is going to be all about the other characters.

Plot-wise, reincarnation has been a topic of several books for quite a while now. And yet, the way Ms. Hooper wrote Grasping at Eternity is wonderful in itself. Personally, I'm not into reincarnation but this book has converted me. Not only that, the characters are "special" in themselves. You'll get what I mean when you read it. SO READ IT!

Grasping At Eternity will hypnotize you to finish the book right at the moment you touch/turn the pages on your physical copy/e-book reader. I swear, it was like one character was persuading me to finish the book or else (I won't tell you which character it is. *wink wink*).  

This book has kept me hooked till the end and now, I'm scouring the online and offline shelves for the second book.

 "I want to punch a hole in the sky, rip it wide open and fly out of this world and into a magical one."

"Something about you left an imprint on my soul. You've been stuck in my head all day." 

Why did he speak with such good manners? It made me feel like I had to respond with good manners of my own- not that he deserved any.


 Author of YA paranormal and fantasy.

~TANGLED TIDES & DANGEROUS DEPTHS
~THE KINDRILY series
~VIRTUAL ARCANA series, coming soon.

I was born and bred in Baltimore, frolicked and froze in Colorado for a couple of years, and I'm currently sunning and splashing around Florida with my two spoiled rescue dogs. I'm addicted to coffee, chocolate and complicated happily-ever-afters.

If a book is on my Read list then I enjoyed it (3-5 stars). I only rate 5 star books (those I loved so much I will read again and/or because they are by authors I know personally and adore) because I usually don't do reviews and I'd feel bad giving an author 3 or 4 stars without explaining why.

Feel free to friend me. I love meeting other book lovers and I like seeing what people are reading!


Author links: 

No comments :

Post a Comment